I am sometimes asked what distinguishes us from other counselors. Today I am going to answer that question. All we do is BS/MD and medical school admissions. 80% of our students are applying to BS/MD programs and the remaining 20% are college students applying through the traditional route to medical school. We are the experts in BS/MD and medical school admissions.
We are not the only counselors that just do medical school admissions but the vast majority of the people that claim to do BS/MD admissions or traditional medical school admissions handle many different types of admissions. It is fine to handle many different types of admissions but if you, the student, want counseling, why would you not want the group that only handles the type of admissions you want. If someone calls us about law school admissions, or have a student that is interested in engineering, we will refer that student out to another firm that handles those types of admissions. With our focus on medical school admissions we are not distracted by other types of admissions and use this focus to make sure we have the latest information about what medical schools want from applicants.
Our experience in the field also distinguishes us from other counselors. We have been focused on BS/MD counseling for the past 12 years and during that time have helped hundreds of students successfully get admitted to one of these programs and have helped students get admitted to virtually every BS/MD program in the country. Traditional medical school counseling has been part of our business for the past 10 years and again we have helped hundreds of traditional students get admitted to medical school. We also regularly tour colleges, BS/MD programs and medical schools around the country to make sure we have up to date information on what these colleges and programs are looking for in a successful applicant. To my knowledge we have handled more BS/MD applicants than any other counseling firm in the country. And there are very few counselors that have worked with as many traditional medical school applicants.
We also have extensive experience in editing writing. I was the Executive Editor of the law review at my law school, Washington University in St. Louis, and have edited thousands of BS/MD and medical school essays. Kelley has a masters degree in creative writing and has also edited thousands of BS/MD essays.
We work full time helping our BS/MD and traditional medical school students in the process of understanding and applying to colleges and medical schools. All we do is help our students. Some of the businesses claim to use medical doctors to help students in the medical school process. But if you ask questions you will find out that these doctors are usually doing something else as their main job. They might be medical school students or residents or just doing admissions when they have time. When you need help, do you want to wait until it is convenient for them to talk with you?
I can understand how it might be tempting to want to work with someone who went through a BS/MD program or medical school program themselves. However, what do they know? They know what worked for them at the medical school or BS/MD programs they applied to. In other words, they know what worked for one student. Have they reviewed hundreds of students applications and essays to BS/MD or medical schools? Do they regularly talk to admissions officers from the various BS/MD programs and medical schools? What experience do they have in editing essays? This last one is particularly important because there are so many essays you have to write for BS/MD programs or medical school applications and the essays are one of the main ways you can use to distinguish yourself. Do you want to rely on someone without a proven track record of editing essays? I have seen a number of my old BS/MD students working for some of these companies even though the essays they wrote for their own applications were not strong to start with.
Finally, we have written what has been called the Bible of BS/MD programs, BS/MD Programs-The Complete Guide. We have spoken with a number of BS/MD programs that have told us that when they ask their new admits what they did to apply to the BS/MD program, the majority of the students read our book or worked with us on the BS/MD admissions process.
Do you want help from the experts in BS/MD and medical school admissions? Give us a call or drop us a note and we would be happy to talk with you to see if we can help you be the best possible candidate.