The National Association for College Admission Counseling will be hosting a free webinar called the Basics of Borrowing for College on Tuesday, December 9, 2008, at 1:00 PM EST. The webinar will last one hour. Some of the topics to be discussed include:
- Intro to applying for aid and an overview of student loan economics (types of loans, availability of loans)
- Should students consider attending a less expensive college or postponing college?
- Should students take out loans to pay for college?
- How much can students/families afford to borrow?
- How do you determine what type of loan is best?
- What happens if a student doesn’t finish college?
- How will a student repay the loan, and what happens if they can’t?
You will need to register for the Basics of Borrowing for College webinar.
I would encourage people looking for basic information on borrowing for college to register for the seminar. However, families should not stop their education with this seminar. There is much more to understand about paying for college and for that information you should go to my webpage on Financial Aid Basics. That page discusses not only borrowing for college but all of the basic information you need to know and questions to ask colleges about financial aid.
Borrowing is but one piece of the puzzle on paying for college. Make sure you understand all parts of the puzzle and you may save thousands on the cost of college.